Monday, November 8, 2010


"Paitarkiutenka/MY LEGACY TO YOU," is a powerful collection of knowledge collected by Ann Fienup-Riordan; told by my late grandfather Frank Miisaq Andrew. It consists of ways of living, stories; explinations of animal behaviors, hunting techniques specific to an animal; types of wood, kayak parts, and countless other wonderful facts about Yup'ik culture. In the picture my great-grandfather, Min'garalria is in the left of the picture sitting down, my other great-grandfather Alluk is sitting down as well at the right of the picture behind the "ukinqucuk" (bow piece with hole in it).

My dad has a picture of my brother and I working on a kayak while we were watching the rose bowl in the background. I will try to get it up here so you can see the comparison. We will do our best to carry on the tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment